You don't take a photograph, you make it. --Ansel Adams . . Owning a camera doesn't make you a photographer. --Photography Proverb

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It Was a Little Bare Under Here

So here are some pix to fill in space while we're anxiously awaiting our first meeting!

I love macro photography. This echinacea flower was shot on a Nikon D300, 105mm micro lens (really more like 150mm on the D300, since it's a crop sensor). Of course, I could've gotten buttloads closer (and I did on other shots), but I liked this one best. And yes, I just said "buttloads." Rule number 2, remember?


I shot this senior portrait on my Nikon D700 (full frame sensor) with the same lens as above (it's my fave) at the Mesa Arts Center (MAC for short). Yes, EVERYONE and their mothers, daughters, sons and cousins shoot at the MAC, but this handsome senior lives not too far from it, so there we went. I just used a nice wide open aperture to cream out the background, making it more interesting (to me, at least).

If you've been to my website or photog blog, you've seen the pic below about 485 times, since it's one of my faves. It was actually shot out here in the Brown Dirt (in the little pecan grove outside of The Pecans [since we're banned from shooting inside The Pecans]). The grass was nice and tan (I have a thing for tan grass) and I decided to add some gold around the edges to compliment the tan grass and draw you into the bride.
Taken on Nikon D700, 24-70mm f/2.8, racked out.

People often ask me what actions I use in Photoshop. I *have* some actions (that I downloaded for free), but to be honest with ya, I very rarely use them. I'm kinda old school in that way. There's nothing an action can do that you can't learn to do better yourself. Sure, many of them save you time, but for me, I'm a total control freak and actions sort of "take over" and sometimes do stuff I end up changing in the end anyway. That said, my friend John is creating some cool actions. I'll pop the link up here when he gets them online so you can check them out.
--s

2 comments:

  1. Love them! When did they start banning us from shooting inside The Pecans? Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was last summer that they banned anyone from going into the Pecans to shoot. If I remember correctly, it was Tami R. that got reprimanded. Or at least, she was the one who sent out the notice. I don't blame them for putting the ban on, but what a total bummer!

    ReplyDelete

Play nice!